BOTOGenie® is a biologically active and highly purified preparation of Botulinum toxin Type A. This is an extremely potent neurotoxin complex which causes relaxation of muscles, marked reduction in sweat gland secretory activity and silencing of nociceptor function on its absorption.
The medical science has developed methodology to derive magical drug effect by unique formulation and controlled administration techniques. It has been used to correct undesirable muscular activity for a considerable period without surgical intervention. This action is reversible in nature in a few months.
Since BOTOGenie® is in a highly purified form & is used in minute quantities, it does not induce any immunological response even after several treatments in most subjects.
- BOTOGenie® 100 or 50 unit vial (Freeze dried )
- Botulinum toxin Type A (Purified Neurotoxin Complex ).....100 / 50 units
- Lactose (Stabilizer ) ......5mg
- Reconstitute with diluent provided (Sodium chloride injection I.P., 0.9% W/V)
- BOTOGenie® has unique pharmacological properties as a neuromuscular blocking agent. It acts by inhibiting the release of acetylcholine resulting in partial & local inactivation of muscle activity. This effect usually lasts for 4-6 months when it needs to be redone. Thus it helps to reduce some of the diseased conditions caused by abnormal muscular contraction e.g. Hemifacial spasms, Cerebral Palsy etc. The action is dose related to large extent.
- This unique muscle relaxation property of Botulinum toxin Type A has been most exploited for cosmetic correction of facial defects ( due to contraction of group of muscles ) like Glabeller lines, Forehead skin folds, Crow feet effect near lateral side of eyes & other facial wrinkles. Marked reduction in sweat gland secretory activity (Hyperhydrosis-Palmer, Axilla) and silencing of nociceptor function for relief from pain (Migraine, Chronic pain, Neck pain etc.) have been achieved.
- Botulinum toxin Type A has been used with excellent results to correct the above diseased conditions and many more like Spasmodic dysphonia, Drooling saliva, Speech & Voice disorder, Achlasia etc.
Available in 50 &100 unit vial along with diluent.
Dosage and Administration :
Safe and effective use of BOTOGenie® depends on selection of correct dose and administration technique. It is extremely important for physician to know the detailed muscular & other anatomical aspect of the area proposed to be treated, any alteration to the anatomy due to prior surgical procedure for good results and success. Special care should be exercised in the following cases because of insufficient data available :
- Nursing mothers
- During pregnancy
- In individuals with peripheral motor neuropathic diseases or neuromuscular junction disorder
- Hypersensitivity to any ingredient in formulation.
- Infection at the proposed site of inoculation.
Side Effects :
Side effects are uncommon.They include nausea, pain, infection, swelling, redness, bleeding, bruising and excessive inactivation of nearby muscles due to large dose etc.
Store at 20-80C in refrigerator. Product is good to use for 24 months from the date of manufacture.
What To Expect After Treatment
- For the first 2 to 3 hours after treatment, take it easy and do not rub the treated area. After that, you can return to your regular activities.
- It can take 3 to 4 days before you notice an effect from the Botox. The full effect may take up to 1 week. The results may last from 3 to 4 months on average but sometimes up to 6 months. After that, you will begin to see the wrinkles return.
Why It Is Done
- Botulinum toxin has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treating frown lines in adults younger than 65. Botox injections also are frequently used to reduce other wrinkles on the face and neck, such as crow's feet, brow furrow, and forehead lines.
- Botulinum toxin is also approved by the FDA to treat eye muscle disorders, including strabismus (cross-eyes), abnormal neck and shoulder contractions, and vocal cord spasms.
How Well It Works
Within 72 hours after treatment, the injection of Botox partly or completely smooths wrinkles for most people. But the results are temporary, typically lasting only 3 to 4 months. You will have to return for injections every 3 to 4 months to maintain the effects. The dose of Botox usually is the same each time you get an injection.
Benefits and Side Effects
- BOTOGenie is most effective on wrinkles that haven’t quite set -- “dynamic” wrinkles that appear while you’re moving your face, such as when you frown. “If you don’t move the muscle too much, you won’t form the wrinkle,” says Columbia University dermatologist Monica Halem, MD. She considers Botox preventive.
- If you're breastfeeding, pregnant, or plan to become pregnant, the FDA recommends that you talk to your doctor before starting BOTOGenie
- Side effects are possible: headaches, bruising, pain at the site of injection, and, in fewer than 1% of cases, drooping eyelids or eyebrows that return to their natural position within a few months.
If you decide to give it a try :
- Don’t be a pill. You're more likely to get a bruise at the site of the needle injection if you're taking aspirin or ibuprofen; these medications thin the blood and increase bleeding which causes the bruise. Skip the pills for two weeks in advance of your treatment. You should also tell your doctor -- before treatment -- about any supplements you're taking, even if they're "natural," because some (such as fish oil pills, gingko, or vitamin E) also thin blood. Your doctor may ask you not to use those supplements for two weeks before your treatment.
- Go easy. Ask your doctor for a more natural, expressive look. Your doctor can adjust the dose accordingly.
- Don’t party on. Spas and parties are fun, but not for injections. These wrinkle treatment should only be done by a doctor who is board-certified in dermatology or plastic surgery.